Name:
Location: United Kingdom

Monday, November 08, 2004

Uxmal


Uxmal Posted by Hello
Uxmal is the other major Mayan archeological site on the Yucatán Peninsula, though it's in the state of Yucatán rather than Quintana Roo (where Chichén Itzá is.) It’s name means “occupied three times” in Mayan, (if I remember rightly.) This is the main pyramid called the Pyramid of the Magician as there’s a story behind it. So legend goes, this pyramid appeared overnight out of nowhere and was the work of a dwarf magician. (Or something like that!!)
I’ve been lucky enough to have gone to Uxmal twice; once with my parents in September 1993 and once with Rafa and Sarah in December 1994. I can’t believe that was 10 years ago now. Wow. How time flies. I climbed the pyramid both times, as you do, and one thing I remember is the bats inside the penultimate level of the pyramid. You can only climb up that far.
This photo actually shows the pyramid from the side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home